The Joint Municipal Authority of Wyomissing Valley, Berks County was formed in 1947 by the Boroughs of West Reading and Wyomissing. The construction began in 1950 and was completed in 1953. The original treatment facility was a 2.0 million gallon per day Trickling Filter facility. Since that time, there have been two significant upgrades — activated sludge treatment added in 1970 and additional secondary clarifiers installed in 1992. The current facility processes up to a 4.0 million gallons per day. The Authority’s service area has approximately 8,000 connections and a population of approximately 25,000 people.